Downloading free hi-res videos from P-TV
The PSP has been capable of displaying full-resolution (480x272) AVC videos for a long time now ... the problem? Unless you lived in Japan, you weren't able to take advantage of it. The P-TV service in Japan allows PSP owners to purchase copyright-protected video for the PSP, and unlike user-created videos, these files are provided in glorious, full resolution.
nixice from IGN PSP has created an incredibly thorough walkthrough [IGN Insider only] of the store for non-Japanese users, and has even created a temporary account for you to browse through the store. With instructions in hand, you'll be able to browse through P-TV's selection of free videos and experience for yourself full-res video that only Motion-JPEG and UMD Videos previously provided.
Not everyone is an IGN Insider, and not everyone can read Japanese, so I decided to flesh out his experience for you.
Download via PC:
Note: This method has been tested with Internet Explorer 7. It does not appear Firefox is compatible.
1. Connect your PSP via USB.
2. Visit P-TV. To access the free content, make sure you click the second option in the header.
3. Scroll down to the bottom and navigate through the categories of content.
4. When you find something you like you click "More." You'll see the running time, the aspect ratio, and cost (you want it to cost 0 yen). Unfortunately, most of the programming is in 4:3. For the full visual experience, you'll want it to be 16:9.
5. After you click "More," you'll see a giant red "Download" button. In English. You know what to do.
6. Log-in with the following details:
7. First-time users will have to install an ActiveX control. Look at the top of the screen and choose "Install ActiveX Control...". If it asks you about sending data again, choose the Yes option. If things go awry, just head back to the P-TV home page and try again. As long as the program is installed, you'll have no problems.
8. You'll eventually reach a confirmation screen. Choose the right option to start the download.
9. Surprise! An English language dialog appears. Could this mean that Sony had ambitions for a US version of P-TV?
10. Voila! You're done. Once the download completes, you can enjoy your full-resolution video on your PSP. You should keep in mind two things: the videos will be in Japanese, and most of them will expire in 7 days.
Download via PSP:
The process is essentially identical to PC download. You can simply type in www.p-tv.jp/psp/ into your PSP browser and complete the transaction that way.
Recommended Free Videos:
These videos are available in 16:9 format.
ノエイン もうひとりの君へ 第1話
2006 FIFA ワールドカップ ドイツ大会 プロモーションムービー