Joystiq, the attention-craving parent site to PSP Fanboy, recently compared the sizes of history's greatest handhelds. When looking at the handhelds in size order, one can see that the PSP sits smack in the middle.
- Game Boy micro: 5.6 cubic inches
- Game Boy Advance SP: 9.81 cubic inches
- DS Lite: 12.96 cubic inches
- Wonderswan: 13.33 cubic inches
- Wonderswan Color: 14.1 cubic inches
- Wonderswan Crystals: 14.68 cubic inches
- Neo Geo Pocket Color: 17.35 cubic inches
- Sony PSP: 17.52 cubic inches
- Game Boy Advance: 17.64 cubic inches
- GP2X: 19.61 cubic inches
- DS Phat: 22.01 cubic inches
- Game Boy: 26.39 cubic inches
- Gamepark 32: 26.83 cubic inches
- Sega Nomad: 49.36 cubic inches
- Game Gear: 50.86 cubic inches
- Atari Lynx: 68.53 cubic inches
[Update 1: Whoa, how did that HTML glitch happen? It totally wasn't like that when I typed it. Anyways, fixed.]
Reader Comments (Page 1 of 1)
10-23-2006 @ 9:46PM
The Game Gear had some awesome peripherals, one to watch TV, and the other one I had was this thing that allowed you to show others what you are playing on any TV in the area(much like the iPod's iTrip only with TV).
10-24-2006 @ 3:18AM
The reigning king of handhelds in terms of design, relative power at inception and peripherals has got to be the Turbo Express, aka PC Engine GT. It's no surprise your rather shortsighted cousins at good old Nintenstiq overlooked one of the most significant game handhelds in history:
* TRUE current-gen console power (was compatible with TG16/PCE games)
* TV peripheral w/ video INPUT too
* Awesome quirky design somehow made a bulky handheld look smaller
* Multi-link adapter
* Killer backlit TFT screen wasn't matched until years later
...obviously, the TGE had issues like lower resolution than the source games rendering some text difficult to decipher and some older units had audio probs, but overall it still ranks as my most desired old thrift shop find. Gotta love those awesome HuCard games!
10-24-2006 @ 8:01AM
What about the Gizmondo ??? But yes , the PSP is not a big handheld at all :)
10-24-2006 @ 11:38AM
*snif* i miss my game gear. when i was a kid all my game boy playin friends could only sit and wish they could play with color. praise the lord for the rechargeable battery pack though, otherwise my parents would have chucked it over raw power usage.
can't wait to see where the psp redesign sits on this list. psp power with (hopefully)DS size!
10-24-2006 @ 3:08PM
Hector Martinez said...
Somebody obviously forgot about the old GameWatch handhelds, almost the side of credit cards.
10-30-2006 @ 2:28PM
Alex D said...
The PSP size is pretty good; IMHO, any thinner would make it feel flimsy and hard to grip, and any less wide would mean loss of screen, which is one of the main selling points of the console.
Anyone else think a flexible display would be perfect for the PSP3 or 4?