Two redesigned PSPs coming next Spring, say analysts
Considering how frequently these redesign reports pop up, I'm going to place my bet that a redesign will come out... eventually (no matter how often Sony denies it). Will it be next Spring, as predicted?
[Via International Business Times]
Reader Comments(Page 1)
2. No way this will happen. Memory is already way cheap now, and why fragment the market?
Posted at 3:47PM on Oct 20th 2006 by Hector Martinez
3. I don't think they'd do this, not now while Memory Stick Duo starts to become cheaper to manufacture and sells more... Remember, the PSP was a trojan horse for estabilishing Sony's Memory Stick Duo in the market. This kind of redesign, that obsoletes the use of Memory Sticks, would contradict one of the objectives of the PSP.
4. They're not fragmenting the market, it makes a rather obvious sort of sense if you look at what Apple has done.
Sony sees the success of the flash based iPOD Nano along with the HD based iPOD and figures they can apply that same scheme to the PSP. Offer a cheap flash based PSP along with a high capacity HD model for more.
I think it could be huge, especially since one of the main sticking points surrounding the PSP's PMP abilities has been its lack of internal storage. With more downloadable games (including but not limited to PSOne) and video/music content ala iTunes, the PSP would almost certainly grab a bit of the iPOD market as well as become far more attractive to people looking Archos type devices.
If they go with TV output and a keyboard attachment, even better. It would make the PSP the kind of true all-in-one device many hoped it would be in the beginning: WiFi internet/surfing, WiFi realtime music and video downloads with far more and better games than the junk you get from iTunes right now.
Of course, the reality is likely to be somewhere in between. I'm not holding my breath for that keyboard or video out.
5. I wouldnt put too much faith on analysts. I used to be one :D. It's all made up.
I find it pretty ridiculous that with a firm named American Technical Research, their prediction is wholly fundamental.
Also , I can second-guess Sony that they will come out with another version of PSP with the much needed memory upgrade.
1. I saw no reason to doubt the original rumor put forth by PSM in the first place. When a dedicated Playstation Magazine comes up with such a big theory, you have to figure they have at least _some_ insider info.
The details quoted were too specific. Samsung 8GB flash internals, new slot-loading UMD mech, etc.
We're almost certainly getting at least one new device. If they launch two with one having a significantly under-$200 price point, I'd go so far as to bet that worldwide sales would see a substantial boost, perhaps even enough to rival the massive success of the DS.
Posted at 3:34PM on Oct 20th 2006 by pixelator