If you're like me, you were somewhat underwhelmed by the 3.00 update. Maybe it was all the rumor-mongering, but I expected the latest update to feature a lot more than simple PSP-PS3 connectivity. Hopefully, someone from Sony's reading this, because this is what I'd like to see from a 3.5 or a 4.0 update.
- It's hard to think of any improvements to the PHOTO channel, but one cool thing I'd love to see added is some "Fun" options, a la Nintendo Wii's Photo Channel. Being able to play around with the photos would be a neat way of making this feature slightly more useful. And, it would be a heck of a lot easier to do a photo puzzle on the PSP than on the Wii. Probability: Very Low
- One of the niftiest things about Microsoft's Zune is that it allows you to share music, with restrictions. I'd love to see something similar. Users can send self-deleting DRM-protected music files to each other. The tech is there in the PSP: why not take advantage of it? Probability: Very Low
- Unrestricted MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 support. The PSP is capable of playing video files as large as 720x480 via UMD, so clearly the hardware can handle downscaling high-res movies. The UMD market is all but dead, so why not free up this restriction? This will make video playback between PSP and PS3 nearly identical. Probability: Medium
- Support for Quicktime videos. Most of Quicktime's videos are encoded in a version of MPEG that the PSP can easily decode. We should be able to play .MOV files on the PSP. Probability: Low
- Support for Windows Media video. Probability: Very Low
- Downloadable PSP games via the PlayStation Store. Not just PSone games, but actual PSP games. Probability: Very High
- Better organization: include three folders when accessing games on Memory Stick? "Demos," "PSone," and "PSP." If you're like me, your PSP's GAME folder is bustling with way too many different files. Better organization would help a lot. Probability: Medium
- Save states in PSone emulation. A lot of other emulators (like the Wii's Virtual Console) let you simply create a save state to resume at a later time. The PSP should easily be able to do the same. Probability: Medium
- PlayStation Store! It's absolutely ridiculous that you need a PS3 in order to download games for the PSP. They need to get the PlayStation Store onto the PSP, ASAP. Of course, the PSP's wi-fi isn't really fast enough to support 500MB downloads, so an alternative would be to purchase and download a license via PSP, and then download the appropriate game files via PC. Probability: Very High
- Remote Play shouldn't make the PS3 inaccessible. With eight gazillion teraflops of power, you think the PS3 would be able to multi-task. Probability: High
- Downloading resuming? How frustrating is it when you're trying to download a 200MB video to your PSP, only to have the connection drop? The PSP should be intelligent enough to allow for downloads to resume. (The fact that the PS3 doesn't do this either is absolutely ridiculous!) Probability: Medium
- Integrate the PSP into the PlayStation Network. You should be able to access your profile and messages via PSP. You could then chat or interact with other PS3 and PSP owners. Probability: High
- Allow PSP games to use the PlayStation Network. One universal log-in across your PS3 and PSP online games would be absolutely fantastic. Probability: High
Reader Comments (Page 2 of 4)
12-13-2006 @ 5:29AM
-more codecs support
-ability to use as a remote control for tv
-ability to send patch via gameshare
-sony hub support
-faster load using memory stick (like teken)
Note : i think the reason the psp remote lock out is due the conflicts that might happen while doing so
12-13-2006 @ 6:14AM
DivX support at last (best way to promote these huge memory stick). And as UMD is dead, remove the zone protection for the movies at least !
12-13-2006 @ 8:31AM
One thing that i think would be really good for it is some kind of customizable menu. you know. just to be able to change the stuff about a wee bit. would do some good.
12-13-2006 @ 9:19AM
I totally secon the interaction with the playstaion store and I'm still waiting for the promised email feature - wasn't that advertised for 2.5 or something? I *do* use my PSP to check my email if I don't want to power up my pc for that - but skipping through gmx/hotmail or a similiar service takes almost as much time as a full windows login wait - ridiculous.
one more level for all folder would be quite nice also. Adding a few shortcuts to the text entry wouldn't be bad either.
12-13-2006 @ 9:36AM
one thing i would like, the ability to turn off the screen but yet still use the L+R buttons and adjust the volume. I often listen to music in bed and its a right pain that the screen comes back on every time i skip a track or increase the volume. It works with the remote, but thats a hassle to have hooked up. course, to get the screen back you would need a key sequence like L+R+X or something :)
oh and ogg support would be nice and being able to upload files via wifi and not usb would be very handy, dont know how easy that would be to do though.
12-13-2006 @ 9:37AM
is it just me or does locoroco (christmas demo) require update to 3.0.2?
12-13-2006 @ 9:51AM
PHOTO: How about a random/shuffle feature for the slide show.
12-13-2006 @ 9:52AM
How about ability to customize themes, fonts, icons?
12-13-2006 @ 10:38AM
Second on the organization, particularly for MP3s. That means more than one level of folder nesting, playlist support, and browsing by ID3 tags. And howzabout some EQ settings?
And Lulu, it's Sony what made the PSP a jack of all multimedia and master of none. We just have certain expectations on what a multimedia gadget should provide us.
And come to think of it, there's nothing stopping Sony from reimplementing the PSP media manager as a playstationstore.com service ala itunes.
I'd also like to see a wifi networking powertool, that would let me survey wifi service in the area, but that would definitely have to come from the homebrewers.
Likewise, I'd like to see a general purpose deck of cards, with, say, a few hundred games and variants that would let me play wirelessly with other PSP owners. No fancy graphics, just a deck of cards, and the ability to play wifi with others. But again, that would likely have to come from homebrewers.
12-13-2006 @ 11:00AM
I dont use it all that much, but every time I use the web browser I get a "Memory Full" message.
I think I am at 3.01, but the web browser is pretty much useless for me.
I have a 1 Gb card sitting in there... use that darn thing for memory.
12-13-2006 @ 11:04AM
I just want to be able to listen to music when I am on the Web and the online be faster.
Seeing as I am in Gap I will post this page over there may be then Sony will see some of these things.
12-13-2006 @ 11:17AM
"A right analog stick for those good ol' Socom matches on the PS2. And possibly some L2/R2 action going on, maybe just little buttons on the back."
Uh, that isn't a 'firmware' upgrade, it's a hardware upgrade.
"I know I know, March 2004 was a month to remember. I remember launch day being stuck in school"
You mean March 2005. The PSP was released in Japan in late 2004 and March 2005 in the US.
"See it's someone else...they just won't put out a revised version of you to fix your flaws."
The initial OPM news about an upcoming revision cited a March 2007 release for a revised PSP. You can't possibly expect Sony to tip their hat to that (or a price drop) during the holiday buying season right now, can you? Why is it people think it was great that Nintendo quietly developed and suddenly released the Lite so soon after the first edition of the DS, but they expect Sony to broadcast impending revisions and discounts half a year in advance?
12-13-2006 @ 12:31PM
I'm sat here reading away wondering just how many of you are running the latest version... There are shortcuts in the text entry.  is delete start is enter O is something else. However, why there isn't a full qwerty layout abffles me. the whole right side is taken up by something that would be better across the top anyway. Better still as may of you have said WE WANT AN EXTERNAL KEYBOARD!!!
You can have sub folders in PHOTO and MUSIC (i have), but not the VIDEO folder.
Anyway you have all got great suggestions except for one....
Five minute demo's
12-13-2006 @ 12:33PM
Dont time them out. Make them single level sure, only play X times is also much better than timed out. (sony store knows if you've downloaded them)
For V3.6 i want a knife; spoon; scissors & bottle opener.
(With auto dulling of sharp surfaces if parental lock is on :o)
12-13-2006 @ 12:40PM
just want to have the ability to play all my video clips at once continuously. It is so hard to fix it.
12-13-2006 @ 12:40PM
just want to have the ability to play all my video
clips at once
continuously. It is so hard to fix it.
12-13-2006 @ 1:08PM
Yeah you should be able to listen to music while going on the internet or looking at photos.
12-13-2006 @ 2:02PM
Well people allready posted all the things that I would want ... but maybe a RE game would be nice , just like a cherry on the cake :P
12-13-2006 @ 2:20PM
Actually all suggestions are kinda good except for the hardware ones: "omg let me take outta my pocket a tiny 2005 best multimedia and gaming gadget and my almost half-o-meter usb keyboard" it could be a nice support but think about this: why browse in your psp if you´re using your hp 3.2 ghz 512mb ram pc usb keyboard. and please AN ALL MUSIC FOLDERS SHUFFLE OPTION UNDER "MUSIC", "SUBFOLDER SUPPORT UNDER VIDEO" & "MUSIC PLAYBACK UNDER "PHOTO"(im not asking to the little ram capabilities to play music while browsing but while watching photos?? my 8 year old450mhz with 32 ram can do it) Happy Holidays.
12-13-2006 @ 3:07PM
Support for a proper bluetooth peripheral which could allow A2DP wireless stereo, multiplayer over cellphone connections, bluetooth GPS devices and cameras to be used AND best of all, support for bluetooth keyboards! I can dream...